Discover our course on the grand site du Salagou - cirque de Mourèze on the Lergue river just 10 min from Lac du salagou and 25 min from Montpellier
ROUTE DU MOULIN - 4KM - 2H30 - from 9 years old
Easy, accessible to all,
around 2h30 of navigation without breaks. Allow an average of 5 hours of activity with picnic and swimming stops.
The portion of the river has areas of small, fun rapids without difficulty, swimming areas with beaches,
Quiet portions of the river suitable for paddling.
Landschaft, Fauna und Flora der Route
La Ruffe (roter Sand) :
often exposed by the erosion, the red rocks characterize the Lac DU Salagou landscapes
La Ruffe is a sedimentary rock, that's composed of fine sandstone that contains iron oxides which gives it it's red color. You can find this color in Arizona, Australia et in South Africa
La Lergue :
La Lergue originates from le Larzac before throwing itself into the rocky Valley De l'Escalette. It becomes a beautiful river as it approches the green plain of Lodévois. Its course then reaches the red lands of Salagou before flowing into the Hérault after 45km course. It has 16 tributaries including the Salagou River. Its fauna is composed of Mediterranean Farro trout, minnows and studs
The Moulin de Rabieux:
Built in the 17th century, a dam and a mill. Originally, the mill was used to make verdet (copper sulphate) which was used for the treatment of plants. It was later transformed into a wheat mill. Individuals transported wheat with carts, spent the night with the owner and left with their grind. Later, it was the railroad cars at Rabieux station that provided transport.
The Planque factory:
In popular tradition, “hideout” means gateway. A footbridge that originally allowed farmers from Ceyras and Clermont l'Hérault to cross the Lergue to access their land. In 1725, a sheet factory was founded there. In 1829, there was added a fuller and mechanical workshops for the spinning of wool and the manufacture of sheets. In 1851, the factory had 220 employees, it had 3 engines (turbines), 55 spinning and weaving looms, and 36 mechanical looms. In 1914, the premises were enlarged to make sheets for the army. In 1949, the factory bought by Ets Teisserenc-Harlachol processed the raw wool arriving from Mazamet to make knitting yarn under the “Fileroux” brand. In 1961, the Armor company created a sardine cannery which operated for five years. Other owners then succeeded each other to revive the factory, which could be reborn, today, thanks to the project of a private individual.